2/27/10

34 days and counting....

DENALI

Yesterday was a really bad day.  JW was trying to make sure he had everything done around here that he needed to.  He packed 4 bags of stuff - just clothes, coats, boots - the stuff he needs to survive in Alaska until our household goods arrive.

I had a million things to do for work.  I was stressing, he was a bit demanding and I finally just told him "GO AWAY".  Fortunately he needed to take a gift certification for "The Griz" down to a neighbor and I wanted him to take a plant for me so he left for a couple of hours.  When he got back - we were both a little more cool headed.

We called the mover to set a date for packing our stuff and starting it on it's journey north.  They confirmed that it would take 3-4 weeks to arrive out our new home - wherever that ends up being.  The dates are March 30 and 31 to pack up the house.  April 1 and 2 to load everything on the truck.  We'll spend April 2 in a hotel in "the big city" and fly out on April 3.

Our realtor came by to have us sign our counter-offer on this place.  We only made two changes to  the original offer - we will not have a survey of this place done and the closing date is changed from April 30 to April 15.

We ate a fairly simple dinner.  Nothing on TV to watch.  So, I started working on the valuation doc of our property.  I'm supposed to list everything along with replacement cost of each.  That is going to take forever and is virtually impossible. 

Some guy called about the mill and lathe.  He asked a million questions and asked if we would be here Saturday so he could come and look at it.  JW told him that I would be home at 3:00 - gee thanks.  We told him we could send pictures so I sent them and requested he call and confirm he was coming out to see them.

We crashed fairly early and slept in until 6:30 this morning.  Then we got up to finish a few things so that we could get to the airport.  We hadn't heard anything from the guy who had called last night so I called him to ask if he had got the pictures and if he was coming out.  I did not want to rush home from Billings if he wasn't going to be here.  He said he had got the pictures and that he had rechecked his finances and decided he couldn't afford them.  

The realtor called and said the buyers had accepted the counter-offer.

We got in the truck and headed to town.  First stop was Home Depot.  It is now a law that you have to have 3 smoke detecters and 1 carbon monoxide detecter in a house in order to sell it.  We did not, so we had to pick some up.  I had asked the realtor if we have to mount them on the wall.   She said we can just lay them around the house. (that way, the buyers can put them where they'd like.)

We went to Red Lobster because they are having their lobster festival or whatever.  El Lobster Yucko - the waitress told us the parrmesan potatoes are really good.  They were absolutely tasteless - thinking they took old baked potatoes from yesterday or the day before and cut them in chunks, rolled them in parmesan and threw them in the oven to warm them up - very very bad.  Lobster tail was barely warm.  Thank heavens their biscuits are always good.

Since I didn't have to rush right home, I figured I'd do a littls shopping and maybe take in a movie.  On the way to the airport, a guy called and said he wanted to come and look at the mill.  JW told him I would be home between 3 and 3:30 (no movie for me).  The guy said he would call when he got closer to the house
.
Drove to the airport and while John unloaded his luggage, I ran in to get a cart for him to get them all into the airport.  $3 to rent a cart for 10 minutes - is that a total rip-off or what.  A quick hug and I headed to Cabelas to see if they had a jacket they were advertising in a sales catalog.

I decided on the way to Cabelas that I wanted to get the Sirius radio reactivated in the truck.  So sat in the Cabelas parking lot long enough to get the radio activated.  Cabelas didn't have the jacket I wanted so went to PetSmart.  I got a small crate so Tink can get used to being in it.  Also got a catnip plant cause Twitch loves his catnip.

I got home by 2:45.  Brought the crate in, put a fleece hat in it and Tink jumped right in to lay down.  Twitch sniffed at the catnip but wasn't too interested.

At 3:15 the guy who is coming out this afternoon called to say "I'm on the way - I'm just leaving Billings now"  aaaaaaargh!!!  I could have stayed in Billings an extra hour and a half to get a few other things I needed.

So, JW is on his way to Alaska to start our next adventure without me.  He had moved to Montana a few weeks before me too.  It won't be that long before I'll get to head that way too just trying to figure out:  if I should fly north on April 3 or should I fly south to AZ.  It would be a big cost savings to fly south first but can JW manage to get a cat, frozen meat, and all the other stuff that we'll need for the next month to Alaska and settled by himself.  Am I just being too set on what I had already scheduled for the year instead of thinking about what is best?  I know I can be a little bull-headed sometimes.

As for the mill, I did get it sold this evening - course, I'm easy and when he asked me to throw in the phase converter, I was so happy we didn't have to move the mill ourselves that I didn't even quibble.  At least JW says I'm not in too much trouble - now if I can get the lathe sold life will be good.

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday I was explaining to the girls that you were moving to Alaska, they asked why and I was telling them it is beautiful there. Jazz looked at me and said "How can it be beautiful, isn't it just ice bergs and stuff".

    ReplyDelete