On February 13, this moose came in to eat for a while. Guess she thought if she could stretch her neck way up high there might be something tasty to munch on.
She didn't really want to eat birch so walked around to the side of the house to eat some willows. I decided to be brave and go out side to get some pictures.
She turned and
when she took one step towards me, I was back in the house in a flash and she was off up the hill. I
really didn't want to get kicked by those big hooves.
February 24th, my favorite wintertime activity in Fairbanks started. The ice park opened with the carving of the single blocks. I waited until Feb 25 so I could actuall see carvings and not just big blocks of ice.
These snow covered carvings were kind of cool.
And I loved the flowers.
Then I went over to check out the ice chapel they were building. The designers were a little frustrated because they hadn't got it done before the single block started so now they were going to have to wait until it was over (since their carvers were signed up for the single block competition).
One of the designers (from Sweden), Barbaro Behm was nearby so I stopped and chatted with her about 20 minutes. A very nice lady, she has helped build over a dozen ice chapels around the world. She was busy carving bowls to put candles and roses in.
From there, I walked through the single block area and here are some of those.
It's so much fun to watch these talented people cutting and polishing the ice to get their finished sculptures.
One of the big blocks of ice waiting for the sculptor to appear.
It is still amazing to me that they can take a block of ice and make something perfectly round out of it.
Above is the work in progress and below is a picture of what they are trying to make.
This little house is in the middle of the single blocks. They use it as an office but I wish they would rent it to me so I could just stay in the park for the full month.
For many days, the northern lights were active. And for a change, the skies weren't cloudy. Now if only I could get my neighbor to turn off his outside lights. It would be kind of perfect.
If I could stay up here another 4 years, maybe I could actually learn how to photograph the lights.
No comments:
Post a Comment