4/20/14

2014 Ice Park - Part 3 - multi-blocks


Towards the end of February, I finally found a web site that will contact me if the northern lights are out.  They called me on February 28th late at night and I grabbed my camera and headed outside.  I was totally amazed by this column of light streaming from the sky.

On March 3, I made my third trip to the ice park.  All by myself because I just wanted to try to get some more pictures under the clear blue sky.

  The temperatures have been so warm that this one had already lost a tusk.






  If you look at the pod on the lower left - the biggest one, you can actually see a giant fly in the fly trap.


  I thought these chains made out of ice were pretty awesome too.


To the right behind this sculpture, you can see the others lined up in a row through the little forest.



After taking some pictures of the single blocks, I wandered over to where the multip-block carvings were in progress.  Could hardly wait to see the finished products.






The Arctic Games for 2014 were held in Fairbanks.  With everything else I had going on, I didn't get to do anything except buy my little stuffed Ravee - the mascot for the games.


It is always exciting to see them working on the multi-blocks.



 lots of hands and other pieces - wonder what they are going to be.


And finally the maze that they build every year.  That is always fun.  Too bad they can't clean the feet print out every little bit so you can't just follow other prints through the maze as it is pretty a"maz"ing.

Back at home, Tinkerbell is getting really tired of winter.  A couple of times a day, she goes over to her little toy crock and tosses all the toys out around the room.  Then she's done.


In some ways, I hate to think that this is going to be my last winter in Fairbanks.  In other ways, I can't wait to get back down to where I am closer to my family.  My main complaint about leaving is that I had a lot of things on my to do list that I wanted to see up here but with John's addiction to hunting, most of them remain undone as we spent most of the summer getting ready for his hunts.  :-(  Guess we are going to have to plan a couple of summer vacations back north.

3 comments:

  1. I think it'll make a much better place for you to vacation. You guys have been way too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, now you'll have to rename your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep - I will catch up this blog to the date we left Alaska then I'll start my Silver Creek Nana blog

    ReplyDelete