I was invited by some ladies in the ward to go to the movies with them to see the "Saratov Approach" on Feb 27. There were about 6 of us who went and then after the movie, we chatted with a bunch of other members in the lobby of the theater about the movie. We all enjoyed it and I was able to teach all of them about the concession stand discount for us "old people". It isn't well advertised but at Regal Theater if you have your AARP card, you can get a medium drink and popcorn combo for about 1/3 off.
My visiting teacher had picked up a lady from an assisted living here in Fairbanks and I had picked up her wheel chair. Since my vehicle was too tall for Bonnie and Karon's car couldn't transport the wheel chair, it took both vehicles. I asked them if they wanted to go to the Ice Park since it was such a nice night. Bonnie decided she wasn't dressed for that so we took her back home, then Karon rode to the ice park with me.
I loved all of these little race cars lit up with assorted lights.
Then we went to the single block area again. I thought we would be able to see the blocks under white lights since they were judging them that night but apparently we were a bit late and they had already started changing to the colored lights.
The on above of the lynx and the rabbits was pretty amazing to me. Especially since I knew the sculptor was hobbling around on crutches while he was working on it.
The one above, reminded me of a Christmas card with children peeking in a toy store window. As it turned out, it was a nursery window filled with babies.
The one above was very eery - especially when you are surrounded by a little forest. It looked like something straight from an alien movie.
I loved the venus fly trap but didn't really appreciate it until I saw it a few days later from a little different angle. (will post that picture in a few days).
The whales above were my absolute favorite single block sculpture. It is amazing to me that they made this out of one 4' x 6' x 3' block because it was at least 10' tall.
The expression on the bears face above was amazing. I think they captured it perfectly.
Another walk by the ice chapel to see how it was going and then we headed to the car. It was a fun evening and as we were leaving the park, Karon who has lived up here since the 70's said, "this is the first time I've ever seen the sculptures at night." In the 4 years I've been here, it's amazing to me what wonderful things there are that the people who live here have never seen.
No comments:
Post a Comment