11/6/13

Annual Fall Trip Outside - October

Wow - for the 4th year in a row, I found myself heading to Arizona in October.  I had originally planned to fly down Nov 9th so I could go to my little great-niece's baptism but John was scheduled Nov 6-9 to go to Anchorage to a Mining Convention so I had to move my trip up a week.  Since it is my last October in Fairbanks, it means I have never had Halloween up here.

This year, I decided instead of working from Mom's, I would take a vacation week so we could run around.

I flew in on Saturday and met Polly, Brie and 3 little girls for lunch - since I couldn't get down for Madi's baptism which she had asked me to come to at the reunion in June.  We met at Sweet Tomatoes and as normal, I found a way to eat tooooo much.  I then drove on to Coolidge to spend time with my Mom - taking Madi with me so she could spend the night.

We stopped by Walmart to pick up some candy for the Trunk  or Treat at the church and Madi picked out a halloween costume for me to wear.

 My i-phone doesn't take the best pictures but when we got back from Trunk or Treat, Madi showed me the flat Stanley that her friend had sent her.  So, we took a picture of great-grandma, Madi and Flat Stanley.

Then Madi pulled out all her candy from Trunk or Treat to inspect it.  I told her how when I was a kid, on Easter, I would always pull all my candy out of my Easter basket and make a parade of candy.  So Madi made a parade too.  Sad thing is that when I was a kid, all the easter candy was not individually wrapped but back then we didn't think about the fact that it was on the floor and we probably shouldn't eat it.  But maybe that's why I rarely get sick  from germs.

On Sunday, October 27, Mom and I drove down to Mesa to watch the girl's  primary program in Sacrament meeting.  We only stayed for the one meeting then headed back to Coolidge - stopping at Jamba Juice on the way because Mom had  said she was hungry for pumpkin and they had a Pumpkin Smash drink which she loved.

Monday, October 28th, we got up really early so we could leave by 7:00 and drive to Mesa to pick up brother Tom to drive to Concho.  It was a nice drive but his gps told us it was 87 miles to our destination and I texted this info to brother Jack.  It was much later that we discovered that 87 miles was only to where we turned off one highway on to another.

We picked up Jack and went on to St. John's to have lunch with Tiff.  They had planned where we were going to eat but when we got there, it was closed.  We drove to another place and it looked pretty packed so we decided to go back to Tiff's, order food and go to pick it up.  We did that and the food was very good.  And it was nice to sit around the table and visit while we ate.

Tiff's house is really cool and it sounds like they have lots of plans to change things to make it their own.  How fun.

After lunch, we headed back to Jack's where we were going to spend the night.  The home was absolutely lovely - decorated with all the warmth created by Pam's special talent and a touch of autumn put out by Tiff.


Jack made sloppy joe's for dinner and they were delicious.  It was fun to reminisce with my brothers about our childhood.  It was the first time that just my older brothers, Mom and I had been together alone since probably before sister Suzy was born.

We had a great breakfast on the morning of the 29th and visited some more before heading back down to the valley.  




Since we had driven up through Salt River Canyon, we drove back down through Payson.  I was thinking of stopping in Payson but when we got there was feeling tired so just continued on.  We stopped to eat in Mesa and then we took Tom home and headed back to Coolidge.

On Wednesday, I took Mom shopping at Dillard's in Casa Grande.  I had told her that if I took her shopping, she had to try everything on and make sure it fit before we left the store.  We picked out a couple of things and then I parked her in a dressing room and brought her a number of other items to try on.  We left the store with a bunch of clothes and drove back to Coolidge.  

We just kind of sat around that afternoon.  I went and picked us up some sonic New York dogs for dinner since she likes sauerkraut.

Thursday was Halloween.  Our plan was to go to Hairball's for her annual halloween party.  Samantha came over around noon and she made some peanut butter eyeballs to take to the party.  I made meatball eyeballs in bbq sauce.

About 5:00, Mom got ready to go to the party.




When we arrived to a wonderfully decorated house, trick or treaters were already flooding the neighborhood.  I wish I had taken a picture of the millions of people flooding the streets.  This definitely must be the favorite area for all of Coolidge.


Hairball's family theme for the year was Nightmare before Christmas.  I tried watching the movie several times the night before but kept falling asleep - maybe my i-phone isn't the best device to watch this movie on.

When this big red lego showed up, Q-man kept asking him if he wanted to play in his bedroom but at this point, the main focus by the kids was on getting something to eat so they could hit the streets and bag some candy.


Sister Sue and hubby showed up.  Each of them carrying a bunch of food.  Please notice Sister Sue's horns.  I knew she wasn't the sweet person she appears to be.



Q-man tried on my beautiful hair piece.  c-boy was out trick or treating with a friend so he didn't show back up at the house until  much later.


Mom had to try out the horns.

And then Sister Sue gave us each a set of wax lips from the old days so Mom modeled hers.


I called Q-man over for a picture and I heard "what about c-boy" so c-boy came over to get a picture with me.  Sister Sue bought me my beautiful hair piece and Brie's Madi picked out the shirt I should buy.


Finally Q-man joined me for a picture.

 

Yep - everyone is tired and ready to go home ("red solo cup").  I am sure there had to be at least 400 trick or treaters and they were still drifting in after 8:00.

Sam gave us a little dance performance since she was dressed as a ballerina.


I am thinking maybe we need to take up a collection for dance lessons but at least she was having fun.


Mom and I then headed home so we could get some sleep before our next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment