Of course, some people will tell you that the 4 seasons in Alaska are June, July, August and winter. That is because we have spring in June, summer in July and by August the leaves are turning and ready to fall. I think August is one of my favorite times of the year because the tundra is just so gorgeous.
In September, for the first time in 2013, a moose came to visit. Actually it was Mama moose and twins. So, while I wish we had more wildlife around, moose are so totally awesome that an occasional visit will satisfy me for now.
Mama was very leery so they didn't stay around very long at all.
I try to get out and enjoy the sun a little while it's still around. We are losing daylight rather quickly at both ends of the day.
Summer was so strange that things just didn't bloom properly and at the end of September, my lilies still hadn't fully bloomed.
On September 28th, I had a severe bout of cabin fever and decided we had to get out of the house. JW really wasn't feeling well but he agreed to a drive up Chena Hot Springs road. So we drove up the road, through the Chena Hot Springs parking lot and he headed back home. To him, a drive is a journey, it is not a destination and unless there is a good reason to stop, he just doesn't.
On the way back, I did tell him to pull into 48.5 mile lake so we could see what it looked like.
A very nice lake and there was a family fishing there and having a picnic.
About milepost 37, they have put in a little parking area to talk about the Granite Tors. I wanted to do that hike again this summer but we just didn't get up there.
The highway was beautiful with all the yellow leaves.
About the center of the picture below, you can see the granite tors far away on the hill.
I was thinking they could have put the pull out a little closer to the hill where the Tors are but once you get around this curve and down the road, you lose sight of them completely.
October 4th, was a beautiful day and the trees still had a lot of leaves which is unusual as I was told that normally by September 21, the trees are bare.
Tinkerbell has been spending a lot of time outside - trying to get the last hunting in before the snows come and she's locked inside for the winter.
October 5th and 6th, I was suffering from a germ which John shared with me. That was fine anyway as it was nice just to sit and watch general conference. All of the talks were so good. My favorite quote was from Elder Christofferson's talk: "Former Young Women general president Margaret D. Nadauld taught: “The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity.”
While I was watching conference, John decided to go out and walk the lawn mower around the yard to shred all of the leaves in the grass. When he got done, it all looked great. A few hours later, after we went to bed, it started raining and rained most of the night. By the next morning, the trees were pretty much bare and the mat of leaves on the ground was nice and thick.
Since we are back at over 12 hours of daylight, my Christmas cactus is starting to bud out at the very tips - I love walking by it every day as the buds grow. With the perfect timing it has, I'm sure the best display of flowers will occur while I'm in Arizona.
Since MP is living in the little village and going to school, I don't have anything to keep me occupied during the week. So, I have been able to do some quilting.
First up is a quilt for our little grandson who will be turning 3 very soon. I had made the quilt top over 3 years ago but then decided that a twin size quilt won't fit his full side bed. At the suggestions of some wonderful ladies in an on-line quilting group I belong to, I added a brick border around the outside of the quilt to make it bigger. I will have it finished by Saturday so I can get it in the mail to Idaho.
I have also been working on a mystery quilt this summer. It's only 55 x 53 and the picture below is from when I had sewn the outside border on wrong. I actually kind of like it this way but I took it apart and sewed it together correctly. If I hadn't been sewing on Sunday, it probably would have been done right the first time but you know the saying, "If you sew on Sunday, you'll have to pick it out with your nose." It gets me every single time - you would think I would learn.
Hopefully I will be able to complete a few more of the quilts on my list this winter as I hang out in the house keeping warm from old man Winter. But next up, a trip to Arizona to visit my family. Time to get ready.
When will you be in AZ?
ReplyDelete