On November 8, it was back to work as usual. Since my plane had gotten in late the night before, I was very tired and really didn't want to work. Especially because on top of everything else, I was on call from Nov 8 through Nov 14. So other than working that day, I took an afternoon nap.
I had called MP while I was waiting for my plane in Anchorage to see if we could get together on Thursday instead of Wednesday which would give me an extra day to catch up on things. She had said she wanted to bake a pumpkin pie before I had left so I asked her if she wanted to do that. She said "yes" on Monday evening.
However, I always give her the option to change her mind when I pick her up and sure enough she did. This was a good thing because with me being on call and the roads being kind of bad, it would have taken us at least a half hour to get out to my house and then an hour and a half to make a pie and an hour for me to get her back into town and return home.
She said that the Athabaskan Fiddle Festival was going on so we decided we would stop by there and check it out. I told her I was going to have to head home by 5 but could stay until then. First we stopped by the Thai House and had some egg rolls, then we drove over to the Tanana Chief Council building and paid to go inside. It is the 29th anniversary of the AFF and a lot of the Native Alaskans like it because there is no alcohol allowed.
We sat and listened to the music and watched couples dancing. Then MP's friend came over and convinced her she needed to dance. So she danced and I took video.
They spent more time laughing than dancing. Then at 5:00 when I was going to leave, my phone rang and I missed the call. It was from work so I had to get home. MP decided I was going to take her home so we rushed to the truck. It had been snowing more and the roads near MP's house are always bad so I slowly drove her home, then jumped onto Johansen Expy to get home. Big mistake because it was like a big parking lot as there was an accident where that road dumped into University Ave. It took me almost an hour to get home and I thought that my phone would ring any time with the client calling back. Nope, instead there was an e-mail from work waiting for me that a client needed a little help so I called them to get them straightened out.
I was on call the weekend of November 12th and 13th so we just vegged around the house.
Back to work on the 14th and then on the 15th, I had to leave a little early to go to the dentist. Oh fun but they are just such nice people. I've never had a dentist who is right on time and when you are in the chair, he stays right there and visits with you while your mouth is going numb and through the whole process. Every dentist I've had over the past 15 years have multi-tasked from patient to patient so they stop in your room, give you a shot to numb your face and then leave you for 20 minutes. When I got done, the receptionist (who is the dentist's wife) gave me a little bag that included some pain meds, my prescription for stronger meds if I needed them, a small bottle of water, paperwork and a small bottle of bubble bath.
Jill had called me on the 14th and told me about a little boy that was up for adoption. He was 12 months old and she was very interested in him. On the 15th, they sent her a picture of him which she forwarded to me. I think we all fell in love with him the minute we saw him but only time would tell if it would work out or not.
Wednesday, Nov 16th was another BBBS activity. The weather was a little better and MP decided she did want to come out to the house and cook. We stopped by Sam's Club to pick up a few bags of pecans and a few things and then drove out here to the house. When we got here, I mentioned several things and she decided she wanted to make Raspberry Muffins. So while she mixed them up and baked them, I cleaned up after her.
When they got done, we put them on a plate so she could take them home to share with her family.
She was very happy with what she had baked and later in the evening, I texted her to see how they tasted. Her response: "They r great. Jesse really likes them." She also told me she was going to have to save one so that she could take it to school. I haven't found out yet if she did that or not.
I know I'm still way behind on my blog but just don't seem to have as much time to be on the computer in the evenings. I really hope to catch up by this weekend. It is definitely much easier to blog when it is more current.


No comments:
Post a Comment