Every year since then I have displayed that nativity set. Most years since the kids have left home, I have displayed it under the Christmas tree. Since without kids around there are usually no presents under there.
Around 1985 or so, I was in Dillard's shopping a few days before Christmas and came across a white ceramic nativity set that was on sale 50% off. Again, it was in the aisle blocking my way so I decided I needed to buy that one.
This one did have the 3 wise men with it but I liked that it was all white with just a few touches of gold paint.
Through the years, I've picked up a few other nativity sets. abenanna gave me a set from Mexico in a little tin box - it's so cute and kind of reminds me of stand up paper dolls. alexshuman sent me a set from Honduras - it is made out of seeds and twigs - very simple. I got a pottery type from Mexico. My mom was doing ceramics and one year she made me a Native American set. I really like that one because the animals are a horse, a wolf, a bear and a fawn. And I have bare foots beartivity - all of that set except for the "wise bears".
Some of my favorite ornaments that always get special places on the tree - front and center - near the star are those based on the nativity.
And the year I bought JM a Cinderella music box, I got an offer in the mail for this nativity music box which I really felt I needed.
A few years ago, I noticed that my first nativity was very similar to the Fontanini brand - it was actually made in Taiwan. But in looking at the Fontanini stuff, I realized that I could get more shepherds and sheep and even a shepherd tent. The next year,, they were selling a grotto which is more like the "stables" or caves they actually used to keep their animals in. So I added that to my collection.
And I saw this little figurine one time when I was shopping at Kohls.
Then this summer when I was at the Santa Claus House in North Pole, I found this Mama Says nativity. When I saw it, my first thought was of the primary nativity program that we always went to on Christmas eve when I was growing up. There were two wards and they would take turns being responsible for either the program or for candy for Santa Claus to hand out to all the kids. I love that it looks like little children dressed up - notice the one wise man's tennis shoes and the standing angel's pink shoes..
So, I kind of figured my nativity collection was complete - at least for this year. But then on Wednesday, I got a package in the mail that I opened before Christmas. Yeah I know I should have waited but since we won't be here next weekend, I opened it as soon as I got to the truck. And inside, I found this:
Thanks to abenanna, I now get to share Christmas with Charlie Brown and the gang too.
I love this time of year. The peacefulness, the lights, the smiles on so many faces, the decorations, but above all I really love the real reason for Christmas to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
I hope as we all move through this final week leading up to Christmas day that we will pause in our rush rush lives and take at least a few moments to thank our Father in Heaven for the gift he gave the world so many years ago, by sending his Son to save all of us.
I seem to be amassing a Nativity collection as well. I really love them, as they make me happy. Perhaps I should post pictures of my favorites.
ReplyDeleteI want to see pictures of ALL of your Nativities.
I want to see pictures of everyone's Nativity sets. I'll post pictures of the rest of mine. What I did realize last night when I was taking out my Beartivity set is that in the box with the shepherd is one wise man and one camel so I had to go ahead and order the III piece of the collection to finish that up. Guess I'll wrap it up and JW can give it to me next year for Christmas.
ReplyDelete