5/3/11

A week in Idaho 4/10 to 4/18

The morning after Mom's party, alexshuman drove me to Phoenix to take an early morning flight to Twin Falls to spend a week with the boy kid and his family. 

I arrived about noon and we went and had a little lunch at a mexican restaurant.  It wasn't too bad.  Then we headed on to Burley.  I was tired and so when we arrived, the older girls and I went upstairs to rest a bit and tell a few stories.  I told them I had kind of s sad story to tell them then I pulled out my story of Twitch Tuffet.  As I got to the last page, number 1 granddaughter (JM) grabbed the story out of my hand and said "I'm going to read the rest".  Then she read to the end, threw it down and said "You should have told me a long time ago cause I kept asking you about Twitch and Tinkerbell."  She's right, I should have but I wanted to tell her in person and didn't feel like the time was right. 

Monday morning I had to get up and go to work for 4 hours.  The girls had both slept with me in a queen size bed so didn't get a lot of sleep.  The girls got up about 7:00 and then about 8:20, dil took the girls to school. 

At 11:00, I picked up granddaughter number 2 (MS) from school and brought her home.  Then I went to Dairy Queen to pick up lunch for granddaughter number 1 and I and took it over to school to eat with her in the school lunchroom.  It didn't take long to eat and soon it was time to go out for recess so I went on home.

While granddaughter number 3 (ST) took a nap, MS and I watched How to Train Your Dragon.  She loves that movie especially since the hero ends up with a prosthesis like Daddy's.

JM had piano lessons after school.  She has only been taking lessons since last fall but is doing so great that even her piano teacher forgot she was a first year student and assigned her a solo (instead of the normal duet) for the piano recital in May.


She loves playing but likes to make up her own songs more than playing from a book.  Right now one of her favorite pieces is Fur Elise - I can remember when I learned that one and it is still one of my favorite to play although the version I have now is a lot more complicated than the one from my early piano days.

That night, MS slept with me and JM slept in her little tent.  But first we told stories.  The favorite story this time around is Hansel and Gretel.  Of course, we had to change the names to JM and MS.

Tuesday morning - again I had to work.  Since there was only one girl sleeping with me Mon night, I did get more sleep but 5:45 came way too early.

The girls went to school and I picked up MS at 11:00 and brought her home so we could eat lunch.  After lunch while Mama put ST down for a nap, MS and I went to Kiwi Loco to get a treat for her.  With all of her allergies it is difficult to take her to lunch- DQ is not a good place for a girl with peanut allergies, at Subway she can eat the meat, a few veggies  and apple slices, at Wendy's she can have a hamburger patty and mandarin oranges.  But at Kiwi Loco she can have Mango Tango sorbet - her favorite.

She ate sorbet while I had a dish of red velvet cake (too rich) and vanilla.

We then went to Walmart because I told her I needed to pick something up.  That something was a new bike for MS.  She had recently started riding without training wheels but her bike was a 10" one so when she rode, her knees were up in her chin.  I let her pick out a bike and we headed home. 

We got it out of the truck and she said "I don't need training wheels".  I told her to ride it with the training wheels a bit to get used to it so she grudgingly did.  She had a bit of trouble turning but soon felt comfortable with the bike.

And yes, in case you are wondering, pink cowboy boots are the thing to wear when riding bikes.  Course they are the preferred footware for MS so she wears them with anything and everything.  She loved it when I showed her a picture of another cousin her age who just like her has pink boots that complement everything she wears.  Too bad her and Gwennie don't live closer together as I'm sure they would be great friends.

After a bit, she insisted the training wheels be removed so I handed her a socket wrench, gave her a few pointers and let her take them off.


With the training wheels removed, she headed out again.

With the training wheels removed, she headed out on her bike.  As you can see, the seat needs to be raised but decided I would let her daddy take care of that.

Littlest Granddaughter loves shoes so has to try on any shoes laying around.  Big sister's and Nana's boots were good ones to try on:



Guess we're going to have to buy her a pair of cowboy boots of her own.

Tuesday night, we had family home evening.  Then back up to bed - this night it was Madison's turn to sleep in the tent but that was a struggle to get her to finally go to sleep.


This is where the tent started out but it was moved several times before MS finally went to sleep and it did end up right next to the bed.

On Wednesday, 4/13, we went to get some family pictures taken.  They didn't turn out as good as we wanted but I took a few pictures of the girls before we headed out.


Wednesday night was MS's turn to sleep with Nana.  She has such a big heart that she told her older sister that she could sleep with Nana too.  No one asked me so we were 3 in the bed again.  After they went to sleep, I moved to the bottom of the bed which was much better than being between 2 kids.

Thursday we found out that an acquaintance of the kids was having an Easter egg hunt on Saturday afternoon. We rsvp'd and when MS & JM got out of school, we went to buy some eggs and candy (since each kid was to bring 12 filled plastic eggs).  Because of MS's allergies, we filled 12 special eggs with stuff she could eat.

Friday morning MS didn't have school so JM took the day off.  boy kid and dil headed to Salt Lake City to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary and us children were left in Burley to party.  We had to run to the grocery store to get some stuff for dinner and lunch.  When we got back, it was time to eat a little lunch and I put ST down for a nap while the older 2 went out to ride their bikes.  They rode bikes quite a while then they came back in the house and we played a while.

The girls were kind of wishing that ST had gone with Mom and Dad so we didn't have to spend time taking care of her.  It was kind of windy and cold so I didn't want to take ST out but instead we checked on the girls a lot while they rode their bikes some more.  After dinner we watched the movie UP since I hadn't seen that one.  Then time to put ST to bed.  She went to bed quite quickly so the girls and I got our blankets and made beds on the floor in front of the TV to watch another movie.  We told some stories and were asleep by 9:30 - or at least the girls were.

I got up and watched a little television on my laptop so it was closer to 1:00 am when I got to sleep.  We were all up by 7:00 Saturday morning.  We ate breakfast, got dressed and I had to go to Penney's to return some shirts I had bought.  While I was returning those, I told the older 2 to look at the clothes.  JM wanted some thongs so we went to get them and also picked out a pair of skimmers (a little longer than bermuda shorts) and a t-shirt for each of the girls.

boy kid and dil got home shortly after noon so they were there in time for us to go to the Easter egg hunt.  boy kid stayed home but the rest of us headed out.  The people who were having the party had a very nice big yard with lots of pine trees.  Apparently they had hid over 300 eggs before the kids all got there and then it took a while to get all of the other eggs hid.  So, time for a few pictures:


After they finished hiding eggs, they turned loose the smallest first and gave them about 10 minutes to find the easily hidding eggs.  ST had lots of fun finding 12 eggs.


MS had found her 12 eggs before I even got over to her.  In order to not have to worry about what eggs she got, we told her to find any 12 eggs and then I traded her for the special eggs I had filled for her.


Ater having a little snack at the party and opening all the eggs to see what they held, we headed back to the house and boy kid decided he was going to take us all to Twin Falls for sushi.  My granddaughters love sushi and quite a bit of it is safe for MS to eat so it's a good place for dinner. 

More story telling Saturday night but us "kids" got yelled at for not going to sleep on time.  Guess I'm a bad influence but they wanted another version of Hansel and Gretel but again the "girls" outwitted the wicked witch and didn't end up as "children soup".

Sunday morning we went to church and then after lunch we went to pick out what we wanted from the pictures taken on Wednesday night.  Most of them weren't so great but we picked out a few.  The last night in Burley for me.  I had to get packed to head to Atlanta on Monday morning.

April 18, I took JM to school then dil, MS, ST and I headed to Twin Falls to the airport.  We stopped at Chili's for lunch.  Then they put me on the plane and I flew east.  Another too short stay with the family but they could now get back to normal and I was one step closer to returning to Alaska and looking forward to July 9 when all the family will be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment