4/26/11

2011-04-09 The Party

After helping set up a bit and getting sister sue's middle son to help me bring the beans to the church, I headed back to Mom's about 10 to take a quick  shower and make sure Mom was ready.  It had been raining all night so I  was hoping it would stop for an hour or so.

I dropped Mom off as close to the door as I could and helped her get inside.  Cara fixed her hair, sister Suzy finished the cole slaw (best in the world - i love that stuff) and we were ready for the party to begin.


About 11:00 a.m. people started arriving at the church - both friends and relatives.  All 6 of Mom's children were there along with 2 son-in-laws and 2 daughter-in-laws.  JW could not get away to go down and one sister-in-law was too ill to attend.  Lots of grandchildren and great-grandchildren were there along with a number of Mom's nieces and nephews on both the Carter and DeCurtins side of the family.  She enjoyed seeing everyone but wished she had had more time to visit with those who were there.




First we had a little program - all of the kids had to give a little speech - hate talking in front of a crowd of people that is for sure.  The highlights of the program was the singing.  sister abenanna's granddaughter Madders sang Families Can be Together Forever and I am a Child of God.  At 5 years old, she did an excellent job.




These 3 characters sang Big Rock Candy Mountain - they claim that Grandma (who never sings) used to sing this song to them as they traveled here or there with her.


l-r this is dacheese, Jason and hairball.  Jason also sang a song that he had written.

alexshuman showed up just before the program started.  When Grandma saw her she said to me "you lied, you said you wouldn't see Valerie while you were here".  What I had actually said is "I don't have time to go by her house this trip."  So kind of a white lie since I wanted her to be a little surprised.

The food was delicious - sister sue's guys did a great job with the bbq, there were all kinds of cupcakes and cakes.  As soon as the program was over, everyone lined up to get a plate full.  (I remember getting a plate of food but  sure  don't remember eating it.)



Typical of big gatherings, you never have time to talk to anyone.  I was literally moving from the time I got there until I took Grandma home after 4:00 PM.  The only conversations I had with anyone was "you need to get your picture taken with Grandma before you leave."  Sadly there are a number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren who didn't get a picture with Grandma that day.

The Lewis cousins - gosh I miss Auntie Florence

Mom and her 3 boys

The 3 sisters - not only do we look similar but everytime I call Mom, she thinks I'm sister abenanna.

Hairball made this wonderful thing for pictures but we weren't well enough organized to make sure we got pictures of everyone in Grandma's Garden.  So if anyone got pictures here, I'd love to see them and will print them out for Grandma

Here's a few of the great-grandchildren.  There are over 50 of them now. 

Natalie showed up in time to be old enough to go to the party.  Her oldest sister was the youngest great-granddaughter at Grandma's 80th birthday.

It was great to see so many people at the party and many told Grandma they would be back for her 100th.  Guess we'll see how that goes.  Grandma was very happy about  the party (except for not getting to eat).

A few people brought flowers and they were gorgeous but the most beautiful flowers of all were the ones growing in front of her house - thanks to brother abenanna's tender care.  Every morning when she'd go out to get her paper she would pause long enough to look at the roses.  I'm sure Grandpa Carter is very proud of his son-in-laws talent for growing roses.



A great big thanks goes out to Sister Sue who did most of the work planning on the party, sending invitations, picking up all the food and so on and so on.  THANK YOU THANK YOU    And thanks to Sister abenanna for the beautiful posters (of which I  did not get a picture so if anyone got one  - please e-mail it to  me.)

One more family gathering is done - I say, 'IT'S TIME TO START PLANNING A FAMILY REUNION"
Cousins - it's your turn....................

1 comment:

  1. I agree a family reunion is in order. But where to have it is the question!

    ReplyDelete