11/23/10

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Icy conditions persist in Interior Alaska storm warning extended

So yesterday was my anniversary - #41 - happy day to me. Well not exactly. JW is in Montana spending the week hunting with his nephew. He'll bring home some fresh venison when he arrives on Saturday evening.

Meanwhile, Fairbanks is experiencing very abnormal weather - first November rain storm since 1936, first time school has been closed due to weather in 30 years. So today as I was working, I was thinking that I would be able to get by today and then tomorrow the temperatures would start dropping and they would get the road cleaned up and I could get to town tomorrow evening or at least by Thursday morning.

But I just read this article in the Fairbanks Daily News Miner:

"Updated with school closure notice, 1:09 p.m.


FAIRBANKS - Students in Interior Alaska are getting an extended break from classes as ice from a lingering, widespread storm makes travel hazardous.

Fairbanks North Star Schools Superintendent Pete Lewis announces schools would be closed again on Wednesday for the safety of students and staff. Classes at the University of Alaska Fairbanks also have been canceled Wednesday. Classes will resume Monday, Nov. 29.

The rain is continuing in Interior Alaska and thick ice continues to form on area roads.

The winter storm warning has been extended until Wednesday at 6 p.m. with up to 1 inch of ice possible on freezing surfaces. Monday, about a quarter inch of ice was reported.

Alaska State Troopers and DOT are encouraging drivers to stay off the road unless absolutely necessary. Most main roads in Fairbanks have been sanded, but conditions are still very hazardous. Drivers are reporting puddles of standing water atop ice in many areas.

According to DOT spokeswoman Meadow Bailey, Airport Way, the Steese and Richardson highways, Geist Road, Farmers Loop and University Avenue and other main roads have been sanded.

"The roads in town are fair, roads out of town are not in as good of condition even though most of them have been sanded and the surface was roughed up with a serrated blade," Bailey wrote in an e-mail. She noted that roads are still slippery. "If people don't have to drive they shouldn't."

Fairbanks public schools and the University of Alaska Fairbanks canceled classes today. State offices in Fairbanks are closed, as is the Tanana Chiefs Conference. We will update as more information on closures becomes available.

Scattered power outages have been reported and the National Weather Service says ice is accumulating on tree branches and could lead to downed power lines. To report an outage in your area, call GVEA 452-GVEA.

A travel advisory has been issued for the Parks Highway. Heavy snow fell south of Cantwell, about 18 inches in the past 30 hours. Between Nenana and Cantwell, fog is hindering visibility and freezing rain is still falling, causing extremely slick conditions. Crews are working 24 hours a day, according to the DOT. "

I guess I'm going to walk out to the shop to see just how bad things are out here in my own front yard then maybe I'll try to walk down the hill to get the mail.  Depends on just how much ice is out there cause this old lady is not in to playing slip and slide on the ice. Definitelyhave no desire to take up ice skating.

Good thing I have a well stocked pantry cause I was on call last week so haven't been to the grocery store in over two weeks - because I'm running low on milk and eggs it's going to be interesting seeing what I can come up with for my "Thanksgiving" feast.

1 comment: