A couple of weeks ago I went in to get the plates for my truck. JW's truck has the 50th anniversary plates which you can't get any more (yep 2009 was the 50th anniversary of Alaska being a state).
I had checked on-line to see what other plates were available and found that the Alaska Children's Trust had one and it seemed like a good cause so decided I would go with that.
After I filled out all the paperwork and told the dmv lady what I wanted, she asked me if I had any lucky numbers and I noticed she was going through a stack of the normal goldish alaska plates. I was a bit confused so I asked her "So, do I put that plate on for now and then you send me the Children's Trust plates?"
"Oh yeah, you wanted those plates let me go get them for you". Her co-worker just happened to have a set of plates which she handed to her. When I saw them, I said "I guess 237 is my lucky number".
Very strange because I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that 237 meant something to me but just could not think what it would be. Finally after pondering this off and on over the next several hours, JW came home and I showed him my plates. I told him that 237 meant something but I couldn't think of it. He quickly came back with the response that 237 was his mom and dad's post office box in Oracle. Yepper - 237 the po box that I sent my first letter ever to JW, 237 the po box that for 8 months JW sent letters to me from Vietnam, 237 the po box that for more than 30 years I sent birthday, Christmas and other cards to my in-laws.
And how appropriate is it that that number along with KID is on a license plate for the Children's trust when my mil spent her whole adult life watching out for the welfare of not only her own kids and grandkids but numerous other foster kids in AZ.
And one other note - notice that this doesn't expire until 2012 - registering a vehicle in alaska is definitely cheaper than in the lower 48 - a flat $100 fee and it's good for 2 years not just 1 so I do not have to brave the DMV office for 2 years - how great is that.
No comments:
Post a Comment