On December 7 after a short nap, I drove to the church for the nativity display - arrived there about 5 and spent the evening visiting with people as they came through. There were 132 nativities (14 were mine and I was glad to be able to contribute to this amazing event).
The original plan was to put all of the nativities in the cultural hall but another ward had already scheduled a party for Friday night the 6th. So, the event leader quickly came up with plan B which was to have different rooms decorated. The World of Nativities was actually put on by the 3rd ward but they asked other wards in the stake to contribute if possible. Since I love Christmas nativities, I signed up to help out.
One of the classrooms was the Far East room.
Another was the Alaskan room:
My beartivity from Montana made it to the Alaskan room. Next on my wish list is one of these igloo nativities.
The primary room was decorated for the children's room.
Everyone made comments about the rubber duck nativity - they love rubber ducks up here.
Charlie Brown nativity was another favorite. And there was one small nativity that was more traditional but several of the Elder's commented on how in that one, baby Jesus had the biggest smile.
This advent calendar was made the event leader's Mother years ago. I took pictures thinking that it would be something the grandkids and I could make for next year.
In the relief society room they set up a number of tables and it was the international room.
This one was from Madagascar - a brother from my ward signed up to display it. He had picked it up on his mission.
Mine from Mexico that cousin Leona had bought years ago.
So many pretty sets.
After taking lots of pictures in the international room, I went into the cultural hall where the musical numbers were being presented. This string quartet is from our ward - I am amazed at the musical talent in Fairbanks 6th ward - so many of the young people play the violin.
Then back to look at the nativities. No matter how much time I spent in the different rooms, I noticed something different each time I looked around.
The white room - this one we had to keep putting up the lights and the tablecloths on the walls as they kept falling down. But it was an extremely peaceful place to sit and enjoy the lovely white nativities.
The World of nativities turned out very nice. It was a good start and next year they are planning for this to be a stake event - with more participating, I am sure that it will continue to grow. And with Christmas videos being played in the chapel, musical numbers in the cultural hall and nativities in classrooms it turned out fantastic.
With the nativity over, I spent lots of time baking - way too many calories in the freezer so I was glad when it was time to start sending things out to other people.
On Thursday, Dec 19th, we came to the agreement to terminate our contract to buy the house in Idaho. Then a little later I got a text from Monica (MP) as she is in town for the holidays. We made plans for Friday. That night, John and I attended the 2nd Christmas party for Kinross Gold - same food as on the 5th - the lemon baked cod was really good. They played the same musical chairs/scavenger hunt game but apparently the word had spread as everyone was prepared with chap stick, flashlights, Ft Knox identity cards etc. It was funny to watch them knock each other over trying to get a seat.
Friday, the 20th, I picked up MP about 1:30 and I asked her where we were going. She said "sushi, I have been hungry since I talked to you yesterday". Then we went to see the Hunger Games - Catching Fire.
Saturday, John and I finished up a little last minute shopping for MP and spent the afternoon on the internet looking at houses and vegging. Sunday, he had to plow the driveway twice and I went to church meetings.
Monday, the 23rd, I picked up MP, her cousin and a friend so we could go see the Hobbit. It was fun but I really didn't like where they ended the movie - now we have to wait until next year to see the ending. It seems like there are lots of movies showing right now that would be good to see.
Christmas Eve day, we both had to work. I got off a little early and so packed up some tamales and cookies to take to a couple in my ward. He had fallen a week or so ago and broke some ribs and I knew he loved mexican food. I had thought they were maybe 4 or 5 years older than me. But in talking to her yesterday, I learned that their first child was born in 1957 so that makes them quite a bit older than me. Such wonderful friendly people though.
John got up this morning and went to work for a while. He had to make sure everything was running okay at the mine. 5 more months and he will be able to retire. The next 5 months are going to be extremely busy - we have to find a house to move into, pack, clean and get this one sold. I will miss many parts of Alaska but until that time will enjoy what I can and then we will move on to the next chapter of our lives.
But for now, it's 40 below and the porch needs shoveled. I had told the missionaries to drop by for a tamale if they run out of places to go so need to make sure they can get in....
Merry Christmas to all and may you find the Spirit of Christ this holiday season.
Thanks for sharing all of the Nativity pictures. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!!
ReplyDelete