5/14/13

Taking a break to watch the snow melt


Wednesday, May 8th, I picked up MP and we drove around Fairbanks a bit then went to the Korean restaurant for something to eat.  It was not good so "we" will not be back there.  Then after driving around a bit more trying to think of something to do and with neither of us having any ambition, we drove by the ice park.  It was still pretty cool outside so the big round chunk of ice was still standing:


Meanwhile, back at the house, the snow is still over 2 feet deep in spots.


Since we haven't been able to get out much, I decided to take advantage of an opportunity to finish tying the quilt for the guest bedroom and getting it bound.  This thing is made of  1296 - 2 1/2" squares from just about every piece of fabric I had in my stash at the time.  If I had had more dark fabric you would have been able to see the design a little more but it was a scrappy quilt for sure.


I did get the binding completed on it today so finally it is on the guest bed and I am positive that Tinkerbell will break it in for me.

The temperatures actually hit 60 degrees on Saturday so when we drove by the ice park, the round block was totally gone.  And the snow is melting quite rapidly in the yard.

Of course, it melts and then gets cold and the water in the little hole around this birch melts and freezes.



Finally the lilac bush is just about to break free from the snow surrounding it.  It hasn't started to bud out at all yet but fortunately with all the snow surrounding it, the moose didn't come into the yard to nibble on it this year.



We had so much water running down the driveway that we ended up with a sinkhole where the pipe to the well is laid.  It's about 20 feet down to the pipe so guess the dirt wasn't packed in as good as it needed to be.  Here we go again - I know we'll be spending another thousand dollars on gravel and a ski steer.



Finally this afternoon all the snow is off the south facing roof and only about an inch remains on the north side.


But there is a nice pile of snow around the edge of the driveway.


My Dad always told me if I didn't go to school I would end up being a ditch digger.  Guess John didn't get the same advice because it seems every year (no matter where we live), he is always digging little ditches to make the water go where he wants it to.


Although no grass or trees are showing any sign of life, the moss is doing good.  I'm hoping when we find a place to buy, it will have a damp little area where I can grow some moss and make a little fairy garden.



The raspberry bushes are waiting to spring back to life.  I never have been able to figure out  which branches will turn green again and which won't so I am scared to cut any of them down.

It is so nice to finally feel the real warmth of the sun.  Tinkerbell is loving being outside almost all day but is anxious for that time to come when we will leave the door open for her to come and go as she please 24 x 7.

I'm just grateful to know that soon the interior will start turning green and we'll have another summer (albeit short) to enjoy in Alaska and make up for the long long winter of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment