4/16/12

Farewell Grandpuppy

I haven't posted in a while, first I was gone and then it always takes me a week to recover and get back to normal it seems.  But, before I post any of my adventures, I want to post a bit about my oldest grandpuppy.

Back in the year 2000, when Val was still doing long haul trucking, her and Dee had a dog named Wyleigh which spent all her time riding shotgun in the truck.  But Dee decided to quit driving and Wyleigh would stay with her so Val needed a new dog for the truck.  They just happened to find a husky born on August 3.




Singing for their supper.


Wyleigh and Alex the trucking dogs.


The good thing about being trucking dogs is they got to visit lots of different climates and got to play in the snow in Utah.  The bad thing was that they had to spend a lot of time in the truck which wasn't Alex's favorite thing.



Ready to roll - where to today.
Alex got to go to Montana before I moved up there.

Soon, Val bought a house and Alex got the run of the house while Val changed to a shorter truck route.







Over the years, Alex has worn a lot of different hats, including a John Deere one for the family reunion in 2006.


She seemed to enjoy the family reunions - it was always nice to get attention from a lot of people.


A present for Alex from Great-Grandma.

I wonder if Alex helped Val play Yahtzee - I think the game has remained unfinished as they were supposed to finish it at the reunion in 2009 which got cancelled.



Alex even had to go to a Halloween Party dressed as the Station Wagon from the Brady Bunch.  That's because Val chose to dress up as the Brady bunch's dog.


Whenever I would visit Val, Alex would always welcome me with a very loud greeting.  She didn't really care for the bright light of a camera flash so when I would take her picture, she would complain to Val.


In 2009, Alex patiently posed with a geocaching travel bug that "wanted" to have pictures taken with lots of different animals.


Alex and Val in 2010.



Alex on her bed in the corner where she would hang out when the weather wasn't good enough to be outside.

In early February, the vet said Alex had lymphoma so we knew she didn't have a lot of time left.  Val spoiled her as much as she could for the short time she still had at home.  She took her to play in the snow but because winter was so warm, there wasn't a lot of snow to play in.  She did get an awesome picture of Alex though.




I was able to spend a couple of days with Val and Alex while I was in the lower 48 - spent Easter with them and helped spoil Alex a little with a caramel sundae from DQ an some bacon biscuits from the Bleu Door
Bakery.

Val told me this morning that Alex was gone - I know it was very hard for her to let Alex go but she knew it was time.   I am glad she stayed around long enough for me to spend a little more time with her.  We are going to miss her a lot - that 11 years went by way too fast.

Goodbye Grandpuppy - you were a wonderful friend.

4 comments:

  1. We all loved ALex. And look how young the kids look at the reunion. This is a very sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful tribute. I never met Alex, but I know from the love that showed in Val's eyes when she spoke of her and your prose that she was a very special fur-face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex was an amazing friend to Val and they loved each other very much as you certainly know. I'm sorry for the loss of your grandpuppy and Val's best friend. I know all of us who knew Alex are grieving for her and for Val's great loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello~ this is Marché (Brunson) Bergen, I just wanted to note what a lovely tribute you have made for sweet Alex. I know it has been a great loss not only to Val but to your family. Thinking of you. Love you, Marché

    ReplyDelete