1/20/11

A little fun in Alaska

It's pretty cold up here the past couple of weeks in Alaska so haven't been out and about too much.  The sun is staying out a little more - we've actually gained 2 hours of sunlight since the 1st of January - pretty amazing huh.


One morning, I was sitting at my desk working.  I noticed how dark it was outside and then noticed the time on my computer.  11:05.  Weird cause when I had checked out the sunrise sunset schedule, it said sunrise was around 10:34.  Why wasn't the sun up yet.  The top of the hills was just starting to turn red that beautiful bright red that first shows up (mainly because of the poor air quality down in the city.  Grabbed my camera and headed for the front door - it was 22 below 0 and I was barefoot but the porch looked dry so I ducked outside to snap a picture.


Definitely the sun was not coming up.  I just couldn't understand why not.  Came back in and checked the sunrise calendar again.  hmmm - then alll of a sudden, it dawned on me.  Yes it was after 11 but that was on my work computer which is on mountain time.  Here in Alaska it was only a little after 9 - the sun would not be up for over an hour. 

On Wed, Jan 12, I drove down town to pick up MP and bring her out to the house so she could finish sewing together her wall hanging.  We stopped at her house to check in and she came back out eating a chocolate frosted doughnut for her after school snack.  Not only was there thick chocolate frosting but it was topped with cocoa puffs - I can not even imagine. 

Hurray - she got the top completed.  She then printed out a few of the pictures that we've taken on our outings.  And I warmed up some red chile that I had made on Tuesday.  MP isn't used to spicy but I told her she had to try my chile and home made tortilla. Apparently she liked it because when I asked her if she wanted another one, she quickly said yes. 

On Sat the 15th, JW and I drove out toward the mine to where he said there was a good view of Denali and we could watch the sunset.  There has been a strong weather inversion the past few days so the pictures I got were quite unusual.

Denali (aka Mt. McKinley) is over 100 miles away but we could clearly see the snow blowing off the mountain. Notice how far to the left of the mountain the sun is setting.



A few minutes later the sun dipped below the horizon.

Then the sun appeared to return to the sky a little to the right side of Denali.


This is what is called a sun dog.  It was absolutely beautiful to see.  And we were fortunate that the sky around Denali was clear enough for us to be able to enjoy this view from so far away.    It was 3:54 and the sun was down for another day.  Time to head back into Fairbanks to get a few things done.

No comments:

Post a Comment